FAQ: How Much DE Should I Be Putting Into My Skimmer?
The most common amount of DE that must be added to the skimmer is 5 LBs, but not all filters are the same size. The amount of DE that is required to add to the skimmer depends on the filter square footage. For a 24 sqft add 3 lbs, 36 sqft add 4 lbs, 48 sqft add 5 lbs. To find what size square footage your filter is simply go out to the filter and on the outside of a tank will be a sticker that will specify what size it is. So how can I measure out 5 lbs of DE? Well, in the retail store at Swim King we sell a 1 lb DE Scoop specifically designed to only be used for DE. DE is so fine that a 1 lb coffee can is not the equivalent of 1 lb of DE.
FAQ: When Should I Open My Pool for the Summer?
Pool opening should begin when overnight temperatures remain above freezing and daytime temperatures remain above 60 degrees. When you are ready, BioGuard® recommends these easy steps:
- Remove pool cover and drain any accumulated water away from pool.
- Fill your pool to the middle of the skimmer opening to allow for proper circulation.
- Check your pump, skimmer basket and filter.
- Circulate pool water 24 to 48 hours, and then take a water sample to Swim King Pools for testing and analysis. Our computerized water analysis system by BioGuard provides accurate results almost instantly. You receive personalized instructions for starting the pool.
- Test sanitizer & pH routinely.
- Routine maintenance is the best way to keep your pool sparkling. And with one of BioGuard’s easy-to-use care systems, it’s as easy as 1-2-3!
For more information, visit Swim King Pools. We can help you choose the right products that will get you and your family enjoying the pool in time for that first warm and sunny day.
FAQ: How Do I Know I Need a New Pool Liner?
- It’s 15 years or older
- The liner used to be blue
- You need to update with a new design
- There’s so many patches on it now
- You think you have a leak
- You really want the salt water pool and hear it’s great for the life of the liner
- You want to add stairs with a liner change
- Your old white steps have cracks and bubbles
- You want to be ready for the summer season
If you have questions or to place a liner order, call Mark at 631-744-8100 x 115.
Swimming Pool Exercise Tip
- Stand in the middle of the pool in an area where the water reaches about chest height.
- Jump up and as you jump tuck your knees into your chest.
- Squeeze your abdominals as you tuck your knees.
- Repeat for 15 to 20 tuck jumps.
Pool School is Coming!
It’s that time again…the warmer air is on the way and that means 2011 Pool School is just around the corner! Our free annual educational event takes place on Tuesday, May 17th at 7pm in our Rocky Point Showroom and we hope you can join us. At Pool School, you will have the opportunity to learn all about the use and care of your new pool. Not only will there be demonstrations of all equipment, there will also be raffles, gift bags and refreshments!
Have an older Swim King Pool? Come on down and get a refresher course on everything pool related. Don’t have a pool yet? If you are thinking of building a pool soon and have questions about the maintenance involved, this is a great place to learn the ropes!
Reservations are a must, so please call Paul or the retail department at (631) 744-8100 x1. You can also e-mail Paul at firstname.lastname@example.org or RSVP on our Facebook page. Don’t forget to bring a water sample for free computerized testing and personalized information about your pool chemistry. See you then!